Miniature painting

Posts tagged “Games Workshop

Moria Goblins continued

The bases for these were pretty straight forward, just kitty litter as the rocks and sand for the rest of the ground.  I decided that I would paint the bases before doing the model, mainly to avoid getting paint on the finished mini.  So the whole mini was first primed black with automotive primer, and then using my airbrush I painted the bases Codex Grey, this was followed by a heavy black wash.  Then successive highlights with Codex Grey, Fortress Grey and White.  I then repainted the mini black to cover all the paint that got on them.  This process worked really well, trying to do that much dry brushing around a finished mini would have driven me crazy.


I chose four different colours for the skin.  I acutally bought about ten different colours and then using a large pad tried them all out to see which I liked best.  I chose Goblin Green and Camo Green from GW and Olive Green and Yellow Green from Vallejo, all of them were lightened with Bleached Bone for the highlights.  The reds were done with Games Workshop reds, and the last highlight got a touch of a Golden Acrylics Orange, so that it didn’t look too pink.




Moria Goblins

Just finished these within the last few days, and am now finally getting them up online.  Had a bit of a scare, after I took the photos and was uploading them to the computer I couldn’t find any of my previous photos.  Took me a while to realize that I was missing an entire harddrive.  After performing a few tests I just opened up my case, and the power lead had come a little loose.  Of course until I actually got it up and running again I was very worried that the drive had died, and I would have lost everything on it.  Lucky me it was an easy fix.

Now onto the minis.


I have had these guys sitting on a shelf for ever.  I bought the first Games Workshop box set for the Fellowship of the Ring, which included 24 goblins (I think), and over the years I picked up an additional box of 24, a number of Prowlers, Durbuz, some shamans, and some of the metal normal goblins off of eBay.  All told I have 80 goblins.  I am a fan of doing things in batches so all 80 were cleaned up, based, primed, and had the bases base-coated at once.  I also made the decision to alter them a little, as I had 48 plastic generic goblins, that repeated the same pose and weapons more often than I would like.  I only cut up a few, the vast majority got weapon swaps, almost all of the weapons came from Thunderbolt Mountain.    Between the different ranges on their site there is a really good selection of weapons.  I figured the goblins had either made a few different weapons, or most likely stole them from dead foes.